Milestones in automatic testing.
“With the increasing complexity of the applications they develop today, programmers need integrated testing tools” said Emmanuel Stapf, Senior Software Developer with Eiffel Software, “and we are really proud to offer this added power to our users in EiffelStudio 6.3.”
Integrated testing tools and other new features and mechanisms in EiffelStudio 6.3 include:
- Tool for managing and running test cases.
- Tool for the creation of manual test cases.
- Tool for automatic creation of test cases while debugging a failure.
- Tool for automatic creation of test cases via AutoTest, which exercises a class without programmer intervention to find all possible failures.
- Better support for attached types in the compiler, as well as acceptance of new `note’ and `attribute’ ECMA keywords. Attached types, a first in the industry, remove the risk of run-time null pointer dereferencing, a major crash risk in programs written with conventional techniques.
- New community-oriented documentation, organized as a Wiki site with hundreds of pages to which users can contribute. See http://docs.eiffel.com
- IPv6 support for EiffelNet
- Argument parser library to manage command-line arguments.
Details on these and other new features of EiffelStudio 6.3 are listed at:
Portability has always been one of the strengths of EiffelStudio and this new release continues in that same tradition. EiffelStudio 6.3 is available on the following platforms:
- Windows Classic, .NET, and 64 bits
- Linux, Linux PPC and 64 bits
- Solaris 10 on Sparc, Sparc-64, x86 and x86-64
- SGI Irix
- VMS, Embedded …
“EiffelStudio 6.3 is a major release bringing lots of new features and tools to the software community,” said Larry Miller, Director of Business Development at Eiffel Software.” The most exciting one for me is the availability of new testing tools that will continue to increase the level of quality, correctness and safety of the software produced with EiffelStudio as well as save time and efforts for the programmers.”
To get started, download EiffelStudio.
EiffelStudio is based on the Eiffel programming language, the most extensive implementation of O-O concepts, standardized through ECMA and the International Standards Organization. Its core concepts, native only to Eiffel, such as Design by Contract™, seamless development, automatic testing, void safety, parallel programming, and modelling facilities allow developers to write predictable and controllable applications that are easy to maintain. EiffelStudio, which received the prestigious ACM Software Systems Award, is used by developers and design-team leaders in challenging enterprise environments in all areas of software development such as finance, health, defense ….With EiffelStudio, the applications they build run flawlessly 24×7, 365 days a year.