New look and feel to the EiffelStudio IDE, new mechanisms for the GUI, and offers internationalization enabling non-English speaking users to use the technology in their own language as well as internationalize the applications they will develop.
“It’s fantastic to work at Eiffel Software, we get to use all of the latest tools developments and enhancements before anyone else!” said Paul Bates, Senior Software Developer with Eiffel Software. “The docking mechanism in EiffelStudio 6.0 is something I know everyone, especially me, have been waiting for. No one user is the same so the docking mechanism is a top enhancement for 6.0.”
EiffelStudio 6.0 comes with a host of new features and tools such as:
- New docking facilities which let you control the layout of tools in EiffelStudio. One can also lock the layout to prevent unwanted changes.
- New tabbed editor.
- Added configurable pick and drop which lets you choose between traditional context menu or pick and drop for a mouse right click operation.
- EiffelStudio is now internationalized, it fully supports English, Chinese and German. A partial translation for French and Russian is provided.
- New ISO/ECMA Eiffel standard mechanisms (multi-constraint, octal and binary notation for integers).
- Shortcuts can now be customized.
- Added dependency view so supplier/client dependency of a group/folder/class can be investigated. Feature calls are included in dependency view.
Other new features are listed at:
Portability has always been one of the strengths of EiffelStudio and this new release continues in that same tradition. EiffelStudio 6.0 is available on the following platforms:
- Windows Classic, .NET, and 64 bits
- Linux, Linux PPC and 64 bits
- Solaris 10 on Sparc, Sparc-64, x86 and x86-64
- SGI Irix
- VMS, Embedded …
EiffelStudio is based on the Eiffel programming language, the most extensive implementation of O-O concepts, standardized through ECMA and the International Standards Organization. Its core concepts, native only to Eiffel, such as Design by Contract™, seamless development, automatic testing, void safety, parallel programming, and modelling facilities allow developers to write predictable and controllable applications that are easy to maintain. EiffelStudio, which received the prestigious ACM Software Systems Award, is used by developers and design-team leaders in challenging enterprise environments in all areas of software development such as finance, health, defense ….With EiffelStudio, the applications they build run flawlessly 24×7, 365 days a year.